Note: The Sunday bulletin contains the order of worship for the In-person worship service.
Registration for the September 20th In-person Worship Service
Please read the in-person worship information below before registering to attend this Sunday.
Click here to register for this week's in-person worship service.
Registration for the September 20th Drive-in Worship Service
Join us for our next "Drive In" style worship service this Sunday at 8:00 am. This will be a simple service of worship with Holy Communion in our back parking lot for a maximum of 50 cars. This service will follow the same outline as our 9:30 am service held in the sanctuary and will include a reading, sermon, communion, and prayers.
Members will be required to make a reservation to attend, remain in their vehicle throughout the service, wear a mask during check in, and follow the posted signage and guidance of the ushers and elders as they direct you to maintain proper physical distancing.
Please register here. Reservations will be accepted until we reach our maximum capacity or no later than 3:00 pm on Friday.
This in-person worship will be a shortened Holy Communion worship service with no congregational singing. All church members will be required to make a reservation in order to attend, wear a mask throughout the service, and follow the posted signage and guidance of the ushers and elders to maintain proper physical distancing in order to keep everyone as safe as possible.
We will continue to provide worship videos each Sunday for those church members who feel uncomfortable attending. Please look for Sunday worship videos beginning at 8:00 am on this website, the OSWLC app, and Facebook page.
As an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death, COVID-19 poses an inherent risk at every public place where people are present. While we strive to keep OSWLC safe for everyone, we cannot guarantee you will not catch the virus while at OSWLC. If you are uncomfortable attending in person worship in any way, please continue to worship with us online by watching our Sunday worship videos.
We would like to thank the Reopening Tiger Team, led by Chuck Banks, for suggesting the following safety precautions be put in place to best serve our church members for our in person services.
- Signs with prequalifications for attendance will be posted on all doors. If you are sick, stay home; if you are at high-risk, stay home and continue to worship online; if you have a fever or symptoms of COVID-19 or have known exposure to a COVID-19 case in the past 14 days, you will not be permitted in the church building.
- Masks are mandatory. All adults in attendance and children ages 8 and older must keep their mask on while on the church grounds to deter the transmission of the COVID-19. Ushers will ask members to leave if they do not wear their mask or the pastor will suspend the service. Masks can temporarily be removed during Holy Communion.
- Members will be reminded to keep at least 6 feet between individuals/families.
- Touchless hand sanitizer stations will be available in the narthex for use prior to entering the sanctuary and upon leaving.
- No food and beverage will be permitted or available.
- We will be capping our maximum capacity at 150 attendees.
- There will be no passing of the peace or physical contact among non-family members.
- Music is a fundamental part of worship services. However, singing remains a risk for the transmission of germs. Therefore, at this time, there will be no congregational singing.
- Because of the risk of contamination, all Bibles, hymnals, registers, bulletins, etc., will be removed from the sanctuary. Church members are encouraged to bring their own Bibles, download bulletins on phones or tablets, and take advantage of projected screen information as much as possible.
- Children ages 8 and older are welcome to attend, however, they must keep their mask on while inside the church.
- We are unable to offer nursery care, in person Grace Place, or in person youth activities at the church at this time. Children will need to remain with their parents.
- Professional cleaners will be scheduled to clean before and after each service which includes the sanctuary, narthex, and restrooms.
- Holy Communion will be available should you choose to partake. If you choose to decline, you can receive a blessing.
- While participating in Holy Communion, ushers will direct members from each pew to approach the front of the church from the side aisle, maintaining a six-foot spacing between households. Participants will receive and consume the wafer as the body of Christ and the individual cup of wine, or juice, as the blood of Christ.
- Those providing Holy Communion will be nodding and blessing you as you take communion but will not be speaking the normal words.
- Gluten free wafers and juice will be available.
- After receiving and consuming communion, ushers will direct you to the center aisle. If two people approach the center aisle at the same time, they will need to take turns alternating to maintain physical distancing until back at their seat.
- Ushers will direct traffic around individuals who remain in the pew and do not take communion.
- Please click here for a diagram showing how you will be directed to partake in Holy Communion.
- Separate one-way entry and exit signs will be posted. Floor spacing signs will be positioned to ensure physical distancing. The elders and ushers will play a critical role managing foot traffic from the parking lot to the pew to maintain safe intervals between attendees. Please wait to be ushered into the building to avoid congestion near the church doors.
- Ushers will lead individuals and families to their seats. Seating starts from front to back. Individuals or couples may be seated in the individual chair areas to save space for families in the pews. Seating in the chairs will be six feet apart and seating in the pews will be on the right and left. The pews will be marked off in six-foot intervals. Please allow the ushers to safely position you to maximize pew space. There will be no preferred seating allowed – worshipping safely again should be more important than getting our favorite pew.
- Signage will be posted to indicate that one family/individual will be able to use the restroom at a time. Signage will also be posted to wash your hands upon exiting the bathroom.
- When the service is over please remain seated until the ushers dismiss members row by row, similar to communion, although from back to front, in order to manage foot traffic and avoid congestion in the narthex. Members will be reminded to exit the narthex immediately and resist the urge to enjoy fellowship inside the church.
- Please click here for a diagram showing how you will enter and exit the sanctuary.
- We highly encourage church members to switch to contributing to OSWLC digitally via Pushpay. We recognize some church members will still want to contribute by cash or check at an in-person service. Therefore, contactless “Collection Plates” will be placed in convenient locations in the back of the sanctuary.
OSWLC is using a reservation system to manage the number of attendees, to provide adequate physical distance for all, and to maintain a record of all in attendance in order to facilitate contact tracing in the unfortunate event that a congregation member tests positive for COVID-19. We are starting out with a small in-person worship because we care about you. Please stay home and watch online if you are considered to be in a vulnerable or high-risk group by the CDC or Virginia Health Department.
Making a Reservation
- Each week, a new reservation will be required. To make your reservation, please return to this web page for the proper week’s link.
- Once you complete your reservation, you will receive a “ticket.” You should keep a copy of this “ticket” on your phone to show upon entrance to the church building. Your name will be checked off as you enter. Ushers/greeters at the entrance will have a roster of those who have made reservations and can validate names upon entry.
- Your name
- The date of the service you plan to attend
- Your phone number
- Names of attendees accompanying you
- You will receive a confirmation email or call to confirm your reservation
- Please let the greeter checking you in know that you called in your reservation and received a confirmation
- Reservations will be taken until we reach capacity for the service, or until 10:00 am on the Friday prior to an in-person service.
- If you fail to make a reservation and decide to show up, you risk being turned away at the door.
- Please know that we are doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe while in our church building. However, we simply cannot guarantee everyone’s safety if they attend worship.
We are all experiencing anxiety about resuming in person worship and we are moving forward in faith in these uncharted waters that we all face. The precautions that have been put in place will continue to change. Know that the Lord is still on His throne and He can bring us through stronger than before if we depend upon Him and the resources He makes available to us through the Holy Spirit (such as Galatians 5:22-23). We look forward to seeing you when you are ready to join us.
Still have questions? Check our FAQs.
Copyright © 2020 Our Savior's Way Lutheran Church, All rights reserved.